Thursday, February 7, 2013

The sweetest lullaby

Lullabies have always been a big deal to me.  As a baby sitter I prided myself on my ability to sing kids to sleep.  My playlist usually includes "Puff the Magic Dragon", "Autumn to May", "Rainbow Connection" and some classics like "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" and a mash up of the last two with the alphabet song. 

When I was a baby my lullaby was "Autumn to May" and "For Baby".  So those two have a strong place in my heart and were some of the first songs I sang to E.  Her first week home from the hospital I couldn't get through "Puff" without crying (silly hormones).  My mom also had a special lullaby that her father used to sing to her when she was little.  She shared it with me and after a lot of google searching and practice I was able to sing it to E and video it to show my mom.  I still have to look at the lyrics when I want to sing it but I'm pretty good at humming it now.

I've downloaded a few lullaby albums to help Ken and I learn some as his repertoire is sadly lacking in the lullaby department and mine can always use more.  We like Paul Simon and Kenny Loggins and I'm a sucker for Peter, Paul and Mary.

We try to sing other times, not just at bedtime and expose her to all kinds of music that we like.  From Show tunes to Ani Difranco to Flogging Molly and Pink Floyd. 

But a lot of the time I just make up silly songs off the cuff.  Ken is picking it up too much to my great pleasure.  I think it is the sweetest thing in the world when he sings to his daughter.  Off-key, off-beat and forgetting words left and right but it is absolutely wonderful.  Whether it's about diaper changes, gas, or singing her to sleep every time he sings to her it melts my heart.

My favorite is of course when he sings her to sleep.  Despite a lacking song base he still manages to sing her to sleep.  Here's tonight's lullaby, it totally made me cry, though these were tears of laughter!

He's such a wonderful father.
Ken's version of "ba ba black sheep"
To Ra loo ra loo ra lie
this is a daddy lullaby
baa baa black sheep have you any wool
yes sir, yes sir, three bags full
one for the preacher,
one for the man,
one for the little boy who lost his hand
daddy doesn't know where these lullabies will go
but he just make momma crack up so
baa baa black sheep have you any wool
yes sir, yes sir, three bags full

and by the end of it, she was asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment