Sunday, February 24, 2013

first week at daycare down.

So on the 19th E went to daycare for the first time. The night before Ken and I sat up making sure we knew how everything would run. I made am and pm check lists for myself. The pm one includes things like: make bottles, set out clothes, and take vitamin. The am list includes: get dressed, eat and leave a note for Ken. Silly I know but surprisingly important at 430am.

Got up at 430 ate, got dressed, then got ms E up and feed her, dressed her and tried to put her back to sleep and she would have none of it! So I got to play with her a little before having to leave. Said goodbye to her and left. Came back in because I forgot part of my pump, said goodbye again, then came back in because it was only 5 more minutes until Ken's alarm was going to go off. Left when there was one more minute until Ken would wake.

The students were so happy to see me! One class applauded when I walked in. Definitely made me feel good. At 9 I got to try pumping at work for the first time. It is a little awkward, despite the fact that the choir teacher is letting me use her lockable, windowless office. During lunch Ken went to check on E and was able to Skype with me. It was good to see her happy and well cared for.

The day actually passed quickly and with no tears, well almost tears in the car on the drive in, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I got to sneak out about half an hour early from study hall in order to pick her up.

Driving there I had a steady chant of' baby, baby, baby' going through my head.  When I arrived the teacher went over to E's crib and said 'oh there is someone here for you, I think you will really like who it is' and then picked E up and turned her around to face me... And she burst into tears! Full scale melt down crying. The teacher looked at me, shocked and said 'that was not the reaction I expected' I just laughed.  After a feeding and some cuddling she was all smiles and sunshine.


Apparently during the week E has adjusted well and is making friends. A slightly  older baby grabbed E's hand during circle time and then they proceeded to have a conversation of coos.  And when I picked her up on Friday the boy she was laying next to started fussing and stopped when I put her back down next to him.

Another milestone down, another step in guiding her to be an independent, functioning member of society. It is hard, but it is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a good thing! Good work Mama, Dada and Baby E!

    ReplyDelete