Monday, January 28, 2013

The sleeping baby trap

E is starting to out grow her newborn comatose-ness.  It's very fun to have a few hours each day to play.  We do tummy time, play in her activity gym, explore the spice cabinet, play with stuffed toys and in general I try to give her as much stimulation as I can. 
A zonked baby is a beautiful thing!  
Especially when it takes 7 tries to get her there!
However E has gotten to a phase where she only likes to sleep when being held.  I'm pretty sure this is normal, at least the 1845+ websites I've referenced and cross-referenced say it is.  She's a devious little trickster about it though.  She will completely zonk out in our arms.  Arm-flopping, head lolling, quiet baby snoring (so cute!) zonk out and will remain zonked as we move and even when put into her crib or changing pad.  Then anywhere between 1-5 minutes later it's wide eyed sad baby crying.  "How DARE you leave me in this crib all alone! Where did you go?!?!"  And we repeat sometimes in excess of 10 times. 

Yesterday on a walk E was happily zonked in her stroller only to awak and become inconsolable about halfway through the walk.  Red-faced, angry screaming.  Now granted she was hungry, but there was no convient place to feed her as we were walking the nature trails. But the only way she would desist on screaming bloody murder is if she was being held cradle style in Ken or my arms.  Talk about a shoulder burner!  Personal trainers should have their clients cradle a 10lb weight and walk around!  Eventually we found a parkbench and I akwardly nursed her while leaning against the stroller, hiding under her fleecy blanket in the 70+ weather. We both emerged sweaty but much more content and were able to finish the walk without screaming.

E sleeping on her Ojiisan....and maybe Ojiisan sleeping too!

At home when E starts in on the fussypants cycle if it's night time we insist she sleep in the crib because Ken and I are both big people and sound sleepers and it would not be good to co-sleep.  So at bedtime we persist and eventually E will sleep zonked out in the crib.  During the day sometimes we persist and she'll sleep in the crib or (usually) on her changing pad in the living room, other times we give in and let her sleep on us...because I highly doubt there will come a time when I think to myself...'gosh I wish I'd held my baby less when she was an infant.'   Sometimes we even nap with her, it's a light sleep, but it's slightly more restful than staring at her bleary eyed.

Now I know proper sleep patterns need to be established and Ken and I are on-board for Ferbering her but not until she's 6 months because the 1834+ websites that I've referenced and cross-referenced say you can't spoil a baby in the first 6 months, you can't hold them too much or snuggle them too much or talk to them too much or any of that.  So....somtimes E we'll let you get away with sleeping on mom and dad...because in secret though our shoulders may hurt or our hands may fall asleep and we can't stop thinking about all the other things we need to be doing...we really, really, really love just holding you even if it's just to watch you sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment