Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Purple and rule number 1

*this is not a proud parenting moment.  But I'm trying to document the good and the bad.*

Purple is one of my favorite colors to dress E in. Today she was wearing a purple monkey shirt with jeans that had purple gingham cuffs and purple flowers.  I love purple.

But not the purple I saw today.

I was working in the kitchen, E was eating cashews and kefir at her kid table in the breakfast nook.
I was sorting rambutans to wash them when I heard a gagging noise.

I turned around to see E rigid, standing at the table her face turning a deep purple.

She has eaten cashews countless times before.  The cashews were pieces and halves so I didn't bother to break them up more.  It didn't matter.  She was choking. I broke Rule number 1.

Ensue baby Heimlich.  And terror.  And more Heimlich.  And more terror.  And so much purple.

I know it must have been only seconds before she spit out the cashew but it felt like an eternity.  There was so much terror.

I'll keep dressing her in purple, but I would really love it to NEVER see purple on her face again.

1 comment:

  1. You succeeded at keeping rule number one under very scary circumstances, I'd say. Being able to respond with the Heimlich through the terror ... no parent wants to do it, but we all hope we'll be able to if we have to. Good work, Mama.

    ReplyDelete