Monday, February 17, 2014

Sick but still impressive!

So E's been battling some illness.  We think it was all brought on by the latest round of teething,  She's working on breaking in her left side upper and lower first molars.  The right ones are already in.  When she teethes, she becomes a drooly, snotty mess. (I think all babies do).

Well the snot piled up, her Eustachian tubes swelled up and she bought herself a double ear infection.
We were in the doctors office waiting for a while because they were a little behind schedule.  So E and I spent lots of time (you know 15-20 minutes) exploring the room.  Looking at the books in the kids drawer, looking a the mirror on the wall, looking at the posters of the babies and the painting of the cat in the flowers. Eventually the doc came in and I told her about how E spent the day stuffing her fingers, cooked carrots, torn paper, pretty much anything that would fit in her ears and the night poking mommy and daddy in their ears as if to say "Hey! this part of me hurts but I don't know how to tell you so I'm going to try to make you feel my pain!" (she does this with her teeth too)  That coupled with the fact that she'd been falling down more frequently than usual, which is saying something, was enough to make me take E in, despite not having a fever.  The doc checked her out, gave us the diagnosis, a prescription, and a see you in 10 (11) days for a check up!

X-ray holder or torture device?
yes.
Side note..this is not E.
Fast forward 11 days, E is no longer trying to stuff everything on earth in her ears but she has a horrible runny nose, a temperature and a cough.  In a different exam room this time, and they aren't running as behind so we aren't in there long.  But while we are in there E keeps pointing at an immunization poster and signing cat.  I'm confused but she's really tired from spending the night hacking and not sleeping and I'm really tired from spending the night making sure she's breathing and not sleeping.  Turns out she's got some slight crackling in her lungs and its time to go for a chest x-ray.  I hope that if you have children you never have to have your infant get a chest X-ray.  It's horrifying.  Pictured here is the device they cram your kid into to keep them still and their arms out of the way.  Oh how E hated this.  Hated. It.  Screaming. Snot. Sobbing. Hate.
puffy faced but still
impressing mommy!

She came out of it screaming mad, scared and covered in snot.  But managed to sign "thank you" to the x-ray tech when prompted and then we headed back into the exam room and as we walked in she pointed at the immunization chart on the wall and signed cat (While still crying, which is very cute and very sad) and I looked at the wall and that's when it hit me.  She was asking where the cat went.  The cat. From the painting. From her last visit to the doctors office.

Knock me over with a feather.  She remembered the art that was on the wall 11 days ago!  My overtired brain decided on the spot that "My child is a genius!"...."or she just really likes cats and we spent a long time looking at that painting".  It doesn't matter it made me smile and remember what a wondrous little girl I'm mommy to.

But I really hope she forgets about the X-ray holder.  that's not a memory  I want her to hold onto. Oh and she has bronchitis from all the snot.   Woo, more antibiotics.  Hopefully she'll be back to her bright chipper less goopy, amazing self soon!

1 comment: