Thursday, November 7, 2013

the importance of accuracy


In my class I always started the year off talking about accuracy and precision in measurements. After today I feel like some thermometer companies would benefit from the same lesson.

E had a fever and had to go home from daycare yesterday. When I checked it in the morning, because she felt hot, the lovely, germ free, temporal thermometer that E knows how to sit still for and doesn't complain at all when I take her temperature, read 99.1. A little high, but still OK to go to daycare.

Then she screamed through her entire gym class. Normally, she's the only baby who never cries. One of the other mom's actually rematked on it..."wow, this is the first time I have ever seen her cry.". And she didn't want to be put down, and she didn't want to participate... all very strange for E.

Fast forward to 2 and daycare calls... 102! E needs to go home. I pick her up and she is acting fine. Happy, snuggly, bouncy, wriggly, normal; though she does feel hot.  Take her home and take her temp, which she even rested her head on my chest to do... 99.5. I figure it's teeth, but make an appointment to get her checked out the next day.

Get her up and check her temp... 100.6. Poor baby. Check throughout the day, it always ranges between 102 at most and 99 at least.  Nothing serious, no need for needs.  Go into the doc and the nurse takes her temp... 103.8!!!!!  That's high enough to warrant medication... And almost high enough to warrant a trip to the er!  The doc offers fever reducer immediately, yikes!  Decline the in office meds. Doc diagnoses an ear infection and prescribes agumentin.  Go home and before giving the fever reducer try the trusty temporal thermometer again... 100.6...

My trusty little thermometer shows it's true colors... It's accuracy stinks. E was probably too febrile to go to daycare from the start. Thankfully ear infections aren't contagious, but seriously a 3 degree difference?!?!? That means she had a fever of 105! When I was getting readings of 102. Accuracy for crap.  You missed the bulls eye in an unacceptable fashion.

Needless
to say we went to get a new thermometer.  All types, shapes and for all orifices were available and all claimed to be apart accurate,  pediatrician recommended and the best value.  I bought the one that looks like the one they use at the doc's. It is an aural thermometer, and E hates it.  She doesn't want that thing anywhere near her ear. If she sees it she starts whining. But the first reading it gave me when I got it home was 103.5. Much more accurate. Braun, you pass the lab practical on accurate  measurement. Here is your gold star. Thank you for your dedication to correct science... Not to mention mother's peace of mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment